Friday, March 24, 2023

Finance secretary-led panel to review new pension scheme, says Nirmala Sitharaman

 

 

NEW DELHI: Finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Friday announced the establishment of a committee to review the New Pension System amid demands from a section of employees and the decision by some opposition-governed states to revert to the old pension scheme, which offers 50% of the last pay drawn by government employees as pension.
The panel, headed by finance secretary TV Somanathan, will “evolve an approach which addresses needs of employees while maintaining fiscal prudence to protect common citizens,” the minister told the Lok Sabha as she moved 64 amendments to the Finance Bill.
In less than 45 minutes, the tax amendments, including those related to debt funds and Securities Transaction Tax, were cleared without any discussion by the Lower House, amid protests by opposition parties.

Faced with a rising pension liability, the Centre had, from January 2004, opted to move to NPS for all new recruits, with the government employees contributing 10% of their salary towards pension and the government making a matching contribution. Subsequently, the Manmohan Singh government also got the states to join NPS, moving to a defined contribution regime, instead of a defined benefit scheme.


Currently, there are close to 85 lakh subscribers, of whom over 60 lakh are from the states, and the assets under management add up to more than Rs 6.8 lakh crore. Since inception, the annualised return for central government employees works out to over 9.2%, while for state government employees, it is over 9.1%.

Opposition-governed Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Himachal Pradesh and Punjab have decided to opt out of NPS but are unable to get a refund of the money deposited with the pension fund managers as the law does not provide for it. In the absence of a refund, the three states will have to either provide the fund for the last 16-17 years or stick to NPS.
While the Centre has so far refrained from stepping into the issue, there has been growing demand in some of the BJP-governed states, such as Maharashtra, as well as some of the employee unions at the Centre, like railways, to revert to OPS, prompting Sitharaman to announce the panel.
“The approach will be designed (by the committee) for adoption by both the central government and state governments,” Sitharaman said in Parliament. The announcement came just ahead of assembly elections in several states, including Karnataka and MP.
Economists and policymakers, including those such as former Planning Commission deputy chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia, have argued that a return to OPS will have a devastating impact on government finances.
Government sources have maintained that based on current trends, sticking to NPS for 30-35 years will ensure a healthy payout based on current returns. Besides, they have discussed the possibility of the government topping up the corpus to ensure that those who are part of the scheme for a certain number of years end up with a pension that is around half the last pay drawn.
Even with this mechanism they believe that the government will not be over-burdened while ensuring that the employees are not worse off.

https://www.zintro.com/profile/zidc0e61fb?showpublic=true&ref=
https://www.doctorslounge.com/index.php/member/1690794
http://sophiadaisy.xobor.de/u1298_reneapierce.html
https://profile.hatena.ne.jp/monicacody/profile?location=https%3A%2F%2Fprofile.hatena.ne.jp%3A443%2Fmonicacody%2Fprofile
https://catalog.moe.go.th/uploads/user/2022-10-30-063552.986932What-To-Know-About-Bundesliga-Schedule.html
https://dados.ufac.br/uploads/user/2022-10-30-063610.380365What-To-Know-About-Bundesliga-Schedule.html

Khushbu Sundar's old tweet viral as Rahul Gandhi convicted, disqualified

 

In 2018, Khushbu Sundar who is now a BJP leader said the meaning of Modi should be changed into corruption. The tweet resurfaced after Rahul Gandhi was convicted for his Modi surname comment and was disqualified from the Lok Sabha.

As Rahul Gandhi has now been suspended from the Lok Sabha, following his conviction by a Surat court in a 2019 defamation case for saying 'how come all thieves have common Modi surname', an old tweet of actor-turned-politician Khushbu Sundar is viral. In 2018, when Khushbu was in Congress, she tweeted, "Yahan Modi wahan Modi jahan dekho Modi...lekin yeh kya? Har Modi ke aage bhrastachar surname laga hua hai....#Modi mutlab #bhrashtachaar..let's change the meaning of #Modi to corruption..suits better..#Nirav #Lalit #Namo = corruption.." Read | United Opposition supports Rahul Gandhi, BJP points at ‘feudal mindset’

 
A 2018 tweet by Khushbu Sundar in which she said 'Modi surname' stands for corruption is viral.

Several Congress social media accounts shared the screenshot of the still available tweet and questioned whether Gujarat minister Purnesh Modi will file a case against Khushbu Sundar -- now a BJP leader and a member of the National Commission for Women.

A Surat court on Thursday (March 23) ordered a two-year sentence to Rahul Gandhi for his Modi surname comment and on Friday (March 24), Rahul Gandhi was disqualified from the Lok Sabha. This has triggered a massive political row with all opposition parties condemning the decision as a political vendetta.

The Congress announced a nationwide agitation against Rahul Gandhi's disqualification from the Lok Sabha while the party will challenge the Surat court order in a higher court.

In court, Rahul Gandhi's counsel did not ask for mercy but defended that the comment was not intentional and did not hurt the complainant Purnesh Modi. A similar defamation case against Rahul Gandhi was brought in Patna by Sushil Modi who said he too was hurt by Rahul Gandhi's comment.

Khushbu Sundar has not commented on her old tweet, nor deleted it. On Rahul Gandhi's suspension from the Lok Sabha, the BJP leader said, "He had said few days back that he is unfortunately a parliamentarian. His words have come true. Moral of the story: think positive. Negativity takes you nowhere".

"Manmohan Singh ji wanted to bring in an ordinance on SC judgment passed in 2013. @RahulGandhi tore it into pieces. Ironically, his disqualification comes from the same judgment. #Karma," Khushbu tweeted.

  • ABOUT THE AUTHOR

    Poulomi Ghosh is a journalist with Hindustan Times, New Delhi.

 

https://artmight.com/user/profile/793526
https://bagogames.com/author/gordonbland/
https://openbci.com/community/people/anissawolff/
https://glremoved1angeleena.gamerlaunch.com/users/blog/6255521/2176616/look-at-features-of-semiconductor/?gid=580539
https://noosfero.ufba.br/patriciakey/blog/look-at-features-of-semiconductor-packaging-materials
http://www.molecularrecipes.com/molecular-gastronomy-forum/users/miriandunlap/

Finance secretary-led panel to review new pension scheme, says Nirmala Sitharaman

    NEW DELHI: Finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Friday announced the establishment of a committee to review the New Pension S...